Friday, March 25, 2011

50 Best Movies for Women's History Month

For this month's poll (there's a monthly poll in the right-hand sidebar, don'tcha know?), I asked everybody what they've done to celebrate Women's History Month so far. Even though I only got a measly 14 responses, I think they're extremely telling: Half of those who responded said they haven't done anything to celebrate this month's cause, and an astounding 35% didn't even know it was Women's History Month!

Well, if you're looking for a last-minute way to let your feminist freak flag fly (try saying that ten times fast), why not cozy up with a blanket, a cup of hot coco, and 50 of the Best Movies for Women's History Month according to Mastersdegree.net?

I can't honestly say that I've seen too many blatantly feminist films in my lifetime (besides, perhaps, Mona Lisa Smile and one of my all-time favorites, Whip It!), but I am on a serious mission to change that.

So if you've seen any of the movies on the aforementioned list, leave a comment and let people know how it was! Or if you know another movie that'll satiate our thirst for strong, kick-butt female leads, let us know about that, too!

As for tonight, I'm going to rifle through our movie cabinet to see if I can find anything juicy (read: empowering).

I suggest you do the same.

1 comment:

  1. I've only seen two of those films, I guess now would be a good time to get a Netflix account. xD

    Although it's foreign, I really like Veer Zaara. Usually Bollywood heroines are reduced to submissive damsels-in-distress who dance in skimpy clothing in music sequences, but this is different. The gist of the story of a man who is wrongly accused of a crime, and is seperated from the woman he loves. But, this woman is spunky, strong, and advocated for equality in girls' education on one occasion. Another prominent female character is a smart lawyer who wants to free that man and addresses the prejudice against her. Not only is it entertaining, but it warms a feminist's heart. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...