Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Powerpuff Girls: "Equal Fights" Episode


As an early-90's baby The Powerpuff Girls used to be an important staple in my cartoon diet. Up until a few nights ago I hadn't seen the show in years, but by some crazy stroke of luck I stumbled across an old episode which features a storyline that modern pop-culture-loving feminists might find interesting. I didn't realize this when the episode first aired in 2000 (I was seven, gimme a break), but the main villain, Femme Fatale, is a stereotypical "man-hater" disguised as a women's libber. Not only does she don a mask shaped like the female gender symbol and try to pass her misandry on to the impressionable Powerpuff Girls, she also refuses to take paper money when robbing places because she prefers Susan B. Anthony coins. Talk about cliché!

Anyway, if you (a) are looking for something to distract yourself from that pile of summer homework, (b) are waiting for a Hot Pocket to heat up, or (c) simply have a few minutes to spare, check out this episode! I'm genuinely curious to hear what y'all have to say about it. I personally feel like it does a good job of showing the difference between a stereotypical feminist (i.e. Femme Fatale) and a true feminist (i.e. Susan B. Anthony), but I'm sure some of you may feel differently.

Let me know what you think about "Equal Fights" in the comments section!


Who's the best Powerpuff Girl?

0 comments:

Best Blogger TipsComment here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...